Gerry's handpicked Supervisor is Linda Smyth who faced a strong primary challenge this year from Charlie Hall. Gerry made this campaign a referendum on himself, funding Smyth and appearing on virtually every piece of her direct mail.
So what were the results in the 11th Congressional precincts in Gerry's home "base"?
Charlie Hall 1,609 (53.6%)
Linda Smyth 1,395 (46.4%)
1) Gerry and Linda both live in this section of the district, yet they still got trounced in the 11th by a guy with zero establishment endorsements.
2) Gerry could only generate 1,395 votes for his favorite candidate in his home base? That's in 15 precincts or less than 100 votes per precinct. In his home area?!?!
3) Of Charlie voters, approximately 0% of them will vote for Gerry Connolly. At one smart growth meeting I attended last month the biggest applause line of the night was when one gentleman said Gerry was going to hell. Not kidding.
4) Linda's voters are Democratic establishment voters- some of which Leslie will be able to pick off right in Gerry's face. After all in many of these precincts Leslie has been the Congresswoman or State Senator, there is no reason these establishment voters will side with Gerry automatically here.
5) Even if Gerry can hold all of Linda's supporters he will lose his own magisterial district in the Congressional primary.
Who are these people in the party leadership that keep telling the media that Gerry is the favorite? Has the media gotten so lazy that they believe our favorite media whore whenever he speaks? Look at him work over Channel 7 in that picture...